Lava Docker - A Convenient Solution to become RPC Provider

I want to introduce you to Lava-Docker, my project aimed at simplifying the process of becoming an RPC provider on Lava. Lava’s vision is to become the Number#1 RPC solution for all blockchains. I believe that achieving this goal requires the participation of many individuals who can contribute to the network and provide RPC services alongside industry professionals.

To help pave the way toward this vision, I’ve created Lava-Docker. It consists of a collection of Docker files, Docker Compose configurations, and helpful scripts designed to enable less technical individuals to become RPC providers in a matter of minutes.

Currently, Lava-Docker includes a Reverse Proxy (Traefik), a Lava full node, and a Lava RPC provider as examples. By simply setting a DNS record on your domain and running a single docker-compose up command, you can join the Lava RPC providers effortlessly.

To create additional providers, one only needs to clone the Lava RPC folder, modify the RPC configuration, and launch the container. Traefik handles certificates and automatic routing based on container labels, making the process smooth and efficient.

Pros:

• Traefik with Let’s Encrypt simplifies the process of obtaining and renewing certificates, eliminating the complexity associated with manual certificate management.
  • Traefik automatically detects containers and routes traffic based on labels, reducing the need for manual configuration compared to solutions like Nginx.
  • Docker usage eliminates concerns about open ports, port conflicts, and other common pitfalls associated with traditional deployment methods.
  • Docker Compose automates service provisioning and ensures liveness through systemd integration, streamlining the deployment process.
  • Integration with Cosmovisor and Lavavisor automates upgrades, removing the need for manual intervention during software updates.

Cons:

• Currently limited to single-server deployments, lacking support for running on clusters.
  • May attract inexperienced providers to the protocol, potentially leading to performance or reliability issues.
  • Offers little value to experienced node operators who are already proficient in managing infrastructure and deployment processes.
  • The project name may not effectively convey its purpose or differentiate it from other similar solutions.

Current State:

The codebase of Lava-Docker is currently a little bit outdated and requires restructuring and cleanup. I think it is better to extract the Lava full node from this package and host it in a separate repository. This separation will allow me to focus on providing a clean and efficient example of connecting RPC to a full node through the Docker network and Traefik.

Potential Impact:
I believe that this project has the potential to significantly contribute to the growth of Lava, especially with the upcoming “Get points as an RPC Provider” initiative in the Mega phase. By offering such a straightforward method for becoming RPC providers, we can empower community builders to create tutorials and guides, accelerating the adoption of Lava across various platforms and communities.

Vision:
If Lava-Docker proves its usefulness and gains traction within the community, maybe I can integrate Nomad into the project for a robust multi-server cluster of Providers and Fullnode - a very less complex and cheap alternative to Kubernetes.

5 Likes

Your content is very useful. I hope everyone can go through this content and take benefits.

2 Likes

Hello! Perhaps I didn’t fully understand the proposed cluster idea. The technical requirements for the Lava server aren’t very high. Why did the idea of a clusters arise?

If one intends to host many full nodes and run providers over them, they will need to have dozens of machines. also, it helps to achieve some level of high availability. but I’m not sure how complex it will get

2 Likes

Got it, thanks! Interesting idea.